March 11, 2021, marked the tenth anniversary of the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake, which, together with the tsunami it triggered, devastated the northeast coast of Japan's main island of Honshu and triggered the Fukushima nuclear accident. However, it is Fukushima that has remained in public awareness. ...
· (For comparison, at Fukushima Daiini Nuclear Power Station, about 12 kilometers south of Fukushima Daiichi, the tsunami height was 9 meters. 28 At Iwaki, about 40 kilometers south of Fukushima Daiichi, it was only 1 meter. 29) Although this effect was well understood and had been predicted in advance, the height of the tsunami was underestimated because simulations assumed a .
· The BBC's Rupert WingfieldHayes examines why Japan's "Fukushima 50" still largely remain anonymous despite their heroic efforts.
Nuclear energy has been a national strategic priority for Japan since 1973. Japan's reactors provide some 30% of the country's electricity and this is expected to increase to at least 40% by 2017. Japan has a full fuel cycle set up, including enrichment and reprocessing used fuel for recycle.
· Meanwhile, South Korea, Taiwan and China are all opposed to the plan. Via Bloomberg: The three Asian governments, all with coastlines nearby, swiftly criticized Japan's announcement Tuesday that it would conduct controlled releases that are expected to last for several decades.
· Starring Ken Watanabe, "Fukushima 50" avoids controversy as part of faithfully reflecting Japanese realities around Fukushima Daiichi. By Anthony Kao, 9 Jul 2020 " roentgen, not great, not terrible." So goes the nowfamous quip from the American HBO hit series Chernobyl. This line also bears relevance to Fukushima 50—the first blockbuster treatment of the world's.
Fukushima 50 is a pseudonym given by Englishlanguage media to a group of employees at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power the Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami on 11 March 2011, a related series of nuclear accidents resulted in melting of the cores of three reactors. These 50 employees remained onsite after 750 other workers were evacuated.
· "Fukushima 50" refers to the 50 employees who stayed back to try to minimize the damage after the crippling of Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant on March 11, 2011. The film is based off of the nonfiction novel "Shi no Fuchi o Mita Otoko: Yoshida Masao to Fukushima Daiichi Genpatsu no 500nichi" by Ryusho Kadota.
· Fukushima 50: Directed by Setsurô Wakamatsu. With Ken Watanabe, Masato Hagiwara, Takumi Saitoh, Tomorô Taguchi. Workers at the Fukushima Daiichi facility in Japan risk their lives and stay at the nuclear power plant to prevent total destruction after the region is devastated by an earthquake an tsunami in 2011.
· Protests grow in South Korea over Japan's Fukushima water plan. Fishing communities worry water will contaminate the seas despite promises it .
· The Fukushima disaster, for accident is too mild a term, ... But approximately fifty minutes after the earthquake, the Tsunami hit the plant with the wave running up to 14 to 15 m at the perimeter of the plant. ... (It may be possible to give a response, ...
· PostFukushima Safety Enhancements. Printable Version. Safe Facilities Made Safer . On March 11, 2011, a earthquake, followed by a 45foot tsunami, heavily damaged the nuclear power reactors at Japan's Fukushima Daiichi facility.
In 2014 Fukushima University's Institute of Environmental Radioactivity said that the total amount of Cs137 released was PBq, 17 PBq to the air, and of the total, 12 to 15 PBq ended up in the Pacific Ocean. The 17 PBq to air, coupled with the I131, would give 810 PBq (I131 eq). Radiation effects. Supplement to information in main page
· We visited the Fukushima Daiichi nuke plant to see how the cleanup is progressing. The cleanup will take decades in places humans can't go. Robots .
· To mark the digital release of Fukushima 50 – out 8th March from Altitude Films – we're giving away a digital voucher. Based on the extraordinary, jawdropping book by Ryusho Kadota, On the Brink: The Inside Story of Fukushima Daiichi, the film, directed by Setsurô Wakamatsu (Whiteout), is the rival of any Hollywood disaster epic, but at its heart it is a moving and extremely timely ...
· James Martin/CNET. Following the initial quake, two 50foothigh waves barreled straight at Fukushima Daiichi, washing over coastal seawalls and disabling the .
· To give a sense of scale, this amount of radiation is the equivalent of what would have been emitted by at least 400 Hiroshima bombs, according to the International Atomic Energy Agency. As Nobel laureate Kenzaburō Ōe says of the Fukushima disaster, unlike Hiroshima and Nagasaki, this time Japan bombed itself.
· Drone photo giving an aerial view of some of the black plastic garbage bags containing radioactive soil from the Fukushima nuclear disaster. Some of the piles of bags are about five or six layers high, and cover several acres—as can be seen by the relatively small size of the adjacent trucks and heavy equipment.
· Courage of the Fukushima fifty: This is suicide, admit workers trying to avert a astrophe. By Daily Mail Reporter Updated: 23:26 EDT, 17 March 2011
· Fukushima 50 Are the Heroes of Japan A 27yearold woman whose Twitter name is NamicoAoto tweeted earlier this week that her father had volunteered for Fukushima duty.
· Fukushima and the Ocean: A decade of disaster response. One decade since explosions rocked Japan's Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, researchers look back at how the ocean was impacted by the radioactivity fallout from the event, and discuss how the situation continues to evolve.
· The Fukushima 50 waited 18 months before the then prime minister, Yoshihiko Noda, publicly thanked them for "saving Japan", a gesture repeated this month by his successor, Shinzo Abe.
· Fukushima 50 review – simmering tribute to powerplant heroes. There's a touch of Hollywood in this dramatised account of the 50 workers who stayed at .
· Fukushima 50 review – simmering tribute to powerplant heroes. There's a touch of Hollywood in this dramatised account of the 50 workers who stayed at Fukushima .